Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Man And His Toolkit

Ladies, please! Not what you are thinking at all.
Just spent a lovely afternoon with a friend and her boyfriend who came to visit.
To make things easier, they parked in a free spot in the underground garage belonging to my building.
All went well until they were about to leave. The boyfriend discovered that one of the headlights was not working and said he had better fix it before they drove off.
He went to the trunk and fetched a toolkit and a set of spare bulbs.
Impressive, eh!
My friend and I stood by the light switch so that we could turn it back on when it went off (it is on a timer and goes off every 2 minutes - as the garage is underground it is then in total darkness).
What was not so impressive was that we were still standing there 20 minutes later while the boyfriend refused to give up trying to remove the headlight housing covering the bulb, which was basically impossible. He also refused to listen to our pleas to drive to a garage or gas station where there a) might be more light and b) qualified staff who were actually able to remove the headlight housing.
Upon questioning, it turned out that he had never done it before!!!
After 25 minutes I made my apologies and an excuse that I needed to return to my appartment because bla, bla. If they had any problems they should come up.
It is now one hour later and I have just tried to call them. As their phones are not ringing at all, I am guessing they are still in the underground garage, without reception, and still trying to find that last screw that will remove the headlight housing.
It's at times like these that I am so happy I don't have a boyfriend who insists on fixing everything himself, even if it takes all night, and am forced to rely on the efficient services of qualified staff, who albeit might charge me the grand sum of 3 Euros 60 cents to change the lightbulb.


No comments: