Monday, June 14, 2010

Danke Deutschland

Today was Germany's first game in the World Cup, against Australia. I think it was pretty clear that Germany would win, but they won 4 -0!

A good friend of mine threw a "football party", which he does every World Cup, with food, entertainment, games and the match shown on a big screen. There were about 40 people there.

He had asked me to open the proceedings by playing a piano piece and I have been practicing Chopin's Nocturne Opus 9 No. 2 for weeks - only to forget my piano sheet music when I got there! And I can't play it from memory.

Fortunately my friend's mother was there, and she is an excellent pianist. She was playing 2 pieces by Schumann. I was desperate and before everyone arrived I played a few easy pieces by Burgmüller, which I can play from memory. My friend's mother said that one of the pieces was really good and convinced me to play one of them at the start of the entertainment instead of the Chopin.

So I did that, and after one or two false starts (everyone had come to watch and people were filming it!) it went OK.

The rest of the evening was wonderful, especially when Germany just kept scoring goals. Football seems to bring Germany together, and there is always a wonderful atmosphere when Germany wins. Even when Germany loses people are still happy.

On the drive home, everybody was driving around with flags hanging out of their cars, hooting their horns and everybody was waving to each other. When I got back to my town, all the people were on the streets and smiling and waving. It is a very good feeling. I really hope Germany continues to do well in the rest of the tournament.

No comments: