Sunday, May 8, 2011

Earl Walks Into a Cupcake's Office

A real live earl came to my office last week.

I know! It's all go in Casa Cupcake.

I mean, he didn't just turn up. He called the day before and asked if he could come by and bring me some work. And I knew his name, so I could have figured it out for myself, but I didn't.

It was only after he handed me the stuff he wanted me to work on that I saw his name directly after the word "earl" (and "Earl" was not his first name).

He came in just as I was in the middle of a very irate phone call to someone else, so I was not either looking or sounding my best. And when I got off the phone I got it tangled up in my hair and couldn't get it out, and he made some sympathetic comment about that. And then when I was about to go downstairs to photocopy his papers, I asked him if he would like to come with me, which, I realized afterwards, sounded as if I didn't trust him to sit in my office on his own.

Holy crap! I wonder if it would have been possible to create a more negative impression. However, when he comes back next week to pick up the work I shall make sure I wear my best dress and lots of smiles. I am angling for a dinner date. I'm not quite sure why, and I don't even know if he's single, but it would be fun, I think.

No comments: