Monday, April 4, 2011

More Alcohol Please, We're British

I'm always amazed how many people don't seem to understand the words "No thanks, I don't drink alcohol". Actually I've only not been drinking alcohol since last summer, but before that I only drank beer if I drank alcohol at all, and I was always amazed then how many people didn't seem to understand the words "No thanks, I don't drink wine" or "No thanks, I only drink Pils".

The response was usually, "But this is a really good wine" - even from people who knew me quite well and had never see me drink wine in their lives. Or, "Come on, you just have to taste this cocktail. No, you really have to" and before you knew where you were, you had it thrust into your hand or under your nose and were still trying to smile and remain polite before you waved it away or placed it untouched back on the table. People do seem to get very offended by that.

Yesterday I was invited to a brunch with some people I don't know very well and all of a sudden I found a glass of champagne in my hand. "Thanks, but I don't drink alcolhol", said I, to be greeted with the response, "But you have to - it's Thomas' birthday!"

Thomas was at the other end of the table and he'd just purchased a bottle of bubbly and here it was being opened at ten past twelve in the morning.

"Well, I'll just raise my glass, but I won't drink any", I said and everyone looked at me like I was a nut. "But it's only champagne!"

Indeed it is! I think it has about 13.5% alcohol volume! I don't understand why I should be forced to drink an alcohol that I don't like or any alcohol at all if I don't want it. Nobody would dream of trying to make a non-smoker smoke, so what's the deal with drink?

No comments: