Monday, January 17, 2011

Vielen gleichfalls

I have to tell you I'm beginning to find it quite confusing how often we have to congratulate and wish people well these days.
It wasn't like this when I was growing up in the 1960's! Back then you got on with your life and you were lucky to get a "Bless you!" when you sneezed!

I don't know where it's all sprung from but nowadays you don't just wish people a nice weekend, or a nice evening, but you also wish them a nice rest of the day. In Germany, you can't take a bite of anything without someone wishing you a good appetite, and you can hardly buy anything in a shop without someone telling you to "Enjoy". Correspondingly, the amount of well-wishing when Christmas or New Year come around is all the more.
Twice in the last week I got my already fairly befuddled head into a knot with all the wishing one has to remember and accidentally wished two of my customers in two different phone calls "Congratulations on the New Year" ("herzlichen Glückwunsch zum neuen Jahr"). They knew what I meant though (or at least said they did).
In the first week of the new year, however, I outdid even my own confusion and replied to one of my colleague's new year's wishes with "Vielen gleichfalls", which is so convoluted and confused that I'm not even going to bore you with what it comes out as.



No comments: