Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I’m An Alien, Get Me Out Of Here


During my last year at primary (elementary) school in England in the 1960s, we had a girl in our class who, for the purposes of data protection, I shall call Martha Ann Dickens. Martha managed to inform all of us several times each day that her initials spelled out MAD, and that she was indeed mad. That was her claim to fame apparently.

Having, myself, a mother who managed to inform me at least once a day that all four of my grandparents were “off their heads”, I lived in constant fear of the crazy gene spontaneously and uncontrollably leaping out and manifesting itself in myself, thus alerting all around me to my own inherent madness. So Martha’s pride in her craziness astounded me – she was not trying to hide but to advertise it, and if you didn’t get it straight off after a couple of minutes, she would jump out and bang you on the nose with it.

Martha was, according to her own statement, an alien. I don’t mean that in the resident without a British passport sense, but in the like she was from another planet sense. She would attach herself to her person of choice for that day and spend the rest of the day following them about spouting on about herself. Usually it was me. With Martha there was not much in the way of conversation, it was more of a long monologue for whom she required a listener. She talked as much as possible in school, during breaks, in the lunch hour and on the walk home – unfortunately we lived only two streets away from each other.


Apart from the madness, the bulk of these talks consisted of Martha’s tales of being an alien and the planet she was from. She had me convinced. Martha could rattle on uninterrupted for hours about the planet Zob or Zod, or whatever it was called, where it was, how she had got to Earth and how different everything was here. If she was in 2013, she would be the geeky star of some high school sitcom, cool, funny, witty, a sexy librarian type. In 1969, she just wasn’t. Any of those things. She was just really weird, and really boring.

I guess Martha was just really way ahead of her time.

What puzzled me was how the Dickens (pardon the pun) she was related to her family? Mrs. Dickens was large and a little overweight and had at least two other younger children (one of whom was a baby). None of them looked or acted like aliens. Had they found Martha in a box at the bottom of the garden? Or had she knocked on the door one day and asked them to look after her? Or had they really all come on the spaceship together, landing in a deserted field in South-East London (difficult) with a wad of cash and then just integrated themselves into normal life? And if so, would they not be a bit pissed off with Martha for going and spouting off about it to all and sundry?

One thing that really compounded Martha’s claims and made her look a bit like a mad alien was her coat. She wore a large, woolly, brown overcoat with all kinds of matching accoutrements (hood, mittens). She was so attached to this coat that I don’t think I ever saw her without it. I think she actually wore it in class. I only remember her being at our school for a few months, after which she probably returned to the planet Zob or Zod, so she probably wasn’t there in the summer. Either that or she was and the English summers being what they were the coat was probably not too hot for them.

Martha treated the coat like a skin. I do remember her often pretending to be some animal (large rabbit, cat or bear). Thinking about it now, I guess Martha just really wanted to be something else - anything but the little girl she actually was. And there was me thinking for an entire lifetime that I had gone to school with an alien.

No comments: