Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Heavy On The Wire

In this piece, which follows on from You Not Lucky, You A Mama, I invented the phrase "heavy on the wire" which is a literal translation of the German phrase "schwer auf Draht" that was popular in the 1980s, meaning more or less the equivalent of "hot" today.

When I go to pick up my babies, you know the Kindergarten is in the red-light district of town, it is situated between the Oasis Bar (Life Show - yes, life) and the Femina Bar (Girls, Singer and Life Show) and the Singer in the Femina Bar is, funnily enough, singing, at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, she is called Sydne and she is blond and beautiful and tall and willowy, and her warble warbles all down the street so you could hear it in the Kindergarten if you hung out of the window:

"I heard him speak and I heard my heart's desire,
I felt my heart burn and my limbs on fire,
I knew I loved him with his sex for hire cos
He's so heavy man, he's so heavy, heavy on the wire."

No comments: