Saturday, October 8, 2011

Silver October

The golden October we were enjoying only a few days ago has slipped seamlessly into a silver October with suddenly darker mornings and a soft, silent, silken rain that steeps my world in a silvery encasement.

When I was at university many decades ago, the academic year started in this week and I remember it always as a little cold, a little chill with a crisp morning air and a little mist that accompanied me on my way into classes. I always felt that the cold air did something to make my pale complexion even paler, highlighting my makeup and making it seem more vibrant, and somehow making my red hair appear even redder.

October was the time when you exchanged your pretty summer dresses and t-shirts for your sweaters and pants,  you settled down and became more serious again, and like the year itself, the older year, the wiser year, you left the innocent frolicking of the summer and the long, warm, casual days behind and welcomed in the more experienced, crisper, shorter and sober days of the fall.

No comments: