Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Piano Piano

A couple of months ago, my piano teacher asked me if I would like to take part in the music school's summer concert, playing two pieces on the piano.

I know! Moi. And I know that I've been keeping very quiet about this. The reason is that I've been getting more and more nervous.

At the time, it sounded quite a long way off, and I said I would be delighted.

In the meantime, it is on Saturday! I have never played to an audience before, except for friends at parties. This is a real serious, grown-up do.

I say that, but I'm guessing I will be the only grown-up actually playing. It is the music school, after all, so it is mostly schoolchildren. The other grown-ups will all be in the audience.

I have one friend coming along, and that does give me some confidence, knowing that she will be in the audience. I will be playing Bartok's Rumanian Folkdance No. 4 and Chopin's Nocturne Opus 9 No. 2.

But the  more I practice, the more mistakes I seem to make. It doesn't make any sense! Should be less, surely. Oh dear, I will be quite glad when it is over, I think. I keep remembering when I failed Grade 4 piano at 15, because I had just over-rehearsed and took the exam about 2 months after I should have done. I really hope there isn't a repetition of that.

No comments: